New Zealand and Local Visitor Information
Waitangi Treaty Grounds is a place for all New Zealanders; it is a place where much of New Zealand’s history was shaped and is rightly called the Birthplace of our Nation.
Waitangi is ideal for visitors of all ages to interact, learn, explore and discover. Help us to share and enjoy the unique cultural experience of New Zealand that is Waitangi.
Special rate for all New Zealand Residents
All New Zealand residents are eligible for a discount off the standard entry fee to Waitangi Treaty Grounds, with our special Day Pass price of $25.
To qualify for your discount, simply bring along a valid New Zealand Photo ID when you visit Waitangi, and let our friendly customer service team know you are from New Zealand. A valid New Zealand Photo ID must be presented for each person to receive the special New Zealand Residents rate.
Become a Friend of Waitangi
Become a Friend of Waitangi and receive exclusive invitations to special events and free entry to the Treaty Grounds and Te Kōngahu Museum of Waitangi. You will enjoy access to Te Kōngahu Museum of Waitangi, powerful Māori cultural performances and entertaining guided tours as well as our lush native forest and gardens, carving studio, engaging visitor centre, traditional Māori waka, delicious café and so much more, all with stunning views over the Bay of Islands.
We encourage you to return often, as we constantly seek to enhance and strengthen your Waitangi experience with exclusive invitations to new attractions such as exhibition openings, special events, lectures, concerts and more.
What are the benefits of being a Friend of Waitangi?
- Free admission to Waitangi Treaty Grounds and Te Kōngahu Museum of Waitangi
- Free guided tours
- Free cultural performances
- Invitations to special events
- Regular e-newsletters with exhibition, public programme and event updates
- 10% discount at the Treaty Grounds gift shop
- 10% discount at Whare Waka Café
How much does it cost to become a Friend?
- Far North District Residents (proof of residence required) $5*
- New Zealand Residents (ID required) $30
How do I get my card?
Download and complete the Friends of Waitangi form and hand it in at Waitangi Treaty Grounds main entrance, or ask for a form on arrival at our main entrance. One of our friendly staff will then take your photo, create your card and it will be ready for you to collect at a later date.
Terms and conditions
- Cards can only be obtained at Waitangi Treaty Grounds.
- Card renewal applies annually.
- Member benefits apply to the card holder only.
- Membership is not transferable or refundable.
- You must produce your membership card to obtain the benefits.
- Membership prices, events, benefits, reciprocal arrangements and terms are subject to change at Waitangi Treaty Grounds’ discretion.
- Lost or damaged cards can be replaced on request in person at Waitangi Treaty Grounds main entrance. Card replacement incurs a fee of $5.00.
*Waitangi Treaty Grounds receive no funding from central government (i.e. through taxes), however Far North residents contribute through their local government rates towards the upkeep of infrastructure that the Treaty Grounds benefit from, such as the town supply water system, sewerage system and public roads on the Waitangi Estate. In recognition of this we offer local ratepayers the opportunity to purchase a Friends of Waitangi Card for a special price that covers the production of the card.
Volunteering at Waitangi
We’re always looking for highly motivated volunteers at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds to help with a range of positions. Regular volunteering opportunities are available in Te Kōngahu Museum of Waitangi, working in our heritage gardens and working on the beautiful Treaty Grounds.
These are all roles that involve customer interaction so we are seeking volunteers who love to meet people and who can help to make the experience of the Waitangi Treaty Grounds a memorable one. Volunteers will receive benefits and discounts at Waitangi Treaty Grounds. To apply, download, print out and fill in the Volunteer Application Form, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.