The Waitangi National Trust Board and Board Members.
The Waitangi Treaty Grounds is part of an estate that comprises 506 hectares. The Waitangi National Trust was set up by an Act of Parliament to administer the estate. It’s Deed of Trust, drawn up in 1932, set out the objectives for the Trust Board and the Treaty Grounds. These include priority being given to the repair and restoration of the former Residency which, at Lord Bledisloe’s request, was renamed the Treaty House. The Board continues to be made up of descendants and representatives of people directly associated with this historic site. The incumbent Governor-General has the right to choose to be Patron of the Trust.
In 2016 the Trust Board established a wholly-owned subsidiary, Waitangi Limited, to manage the day to day operations of the Treaty Grounds and wider estate. Waitangi Limited is governed by a Chairman and directors and managed by the Chief Executive, on behalf of the Trust Board.